Mazurek’s Bakery at 543 South Park Ave. has been a First Ward institution since 1933, operating as a full line bakery with an emphasis on Polish style rye bread, pastries, cookies, and decorated cakes. Baking many of the polish favorites: cheesecake, placzek, poppy seed logs.
The Bakery was opened in 1933 by the late Frank and Jeanne Mazurek, who bought the building and changed the bakery name from South Side bakery which was established in 1895. South Park Avenue was then known as Elk Street.
Their son Jack started working in the bakery during high school and took over the baking operations with his uncle when his father became ill. Years past and Jack met his soon to be wife, Carol, who worked in the storefront. Jack and Carol took ownership of the business in 1992.
Mazurek’s Bakery uses a brick oven with steam boiler that was installed in the '30s. The steam is used to provide the famous rye bread with a nice firm outside crust while being perfectly soft and moist on the inside of the loaf.
Ty Reynolds & Nick Smith bought the bakery in 2012 when the Mazurek’s retired. The original recipes and fresh quality continue to remain the same for over 80 years.